How to whiten teeth naturally at home?
Market is full of teeth whitening products. Most of them are chemical induced and are temporary fixes for teeth whitening. Natural with no chemicals and zero side effects products are best to use, when it comes to putting something internally bleaching products should be avoided at all costs. You might feel your teeth are turning yellow as you grow older. This happens due to eroding of enamel and your dentine starts showing up on the teeth surface. This is made of bony tissues, lying under the enamel. Listed below are some simple home remedies for teeth whitening.
- Oil pulling: this is century’s old Indian origin remedy for removal of toxins and oral hygiene. It involves swishing of oil around your mouth for the removal of bacteria. These very same bacteria over a period of time are responsible for plaque and tartar build up. Originally mustard or coconut oil was used. Honestly any oil will work for oil pulling therapy. Lauric acid properties are in abundance in coconut oil, thus it has gained a lot of popularity recently. Oil pulling remedy if practised daily, ensures curbing gingivitis and plaque permanently. You can reduce your dental visits and bills to nil.
Methodology: take 1 tablespoon of coconut oil or any oil in your mouth. Then push and pull the oil through your teeth for 15-20 minutes. Best is to conduct this activity in the morning as first thing after getting up from the bed. Remember to throw the pulled oil in trash or toilet to avoid clogging of your pipes, as it will get hardened with cold temperature. It is a sure shot method to healthy oral hygiene with zero side effects.
- Brush with baking soda: all toothpaste use baking soda as their main ingredient for teeth whitening. Due to its alkaline nature it stops the growth of bacteria on teeth and gums. It is good for removing stain from the teeth’s enamel. Regular use of baking soda while brushing will show definite whitening results. It is an on-going process and not a one-time shot. Scientifically it is not proven thought all the toothpaste companies are using this as their main ingredient for teeth whitening.
Methodology: mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda in 2 teaspoon of water. Brush your teeth gently with this mixture. Always remember do not brush too aggressively; else you might get bruised gums.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Since ages it a very handy house-hold product famous for disinfecting and cleaning purposes. Presence of acetic acid in apple cider vinegar has bacterial killing properties. Its anti-bacterial properties has brought the attention for using this amazing product for teeth whitening and tackling bacteria built-up.
Methodology: dilute 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in half cup of less warm water. Swish it around your mouth for 6-8 minutes. After throwing it rinse your mouth with normal water. Always remember due to acidic nature this remedy can be applied only twice a week.
- Strawberries and baking soda: strawberries are a rich source of malic acid. It works wonders for the removal of any stains from the teeth. When combined with baking soda this remedy will give sparkling white teeth. Although there are no scientific searches proving the authenticity of the combination.
Methodology: Grind some strawberries in a fine paste and add 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Apply this paste gently on your teeth for 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with water. Practise this remedy to a limited number of times during the week.
- Pineapple: contains bromelainan enzyme famous for removing stains and whitening teeth. Some toothpaste uses this as one of the major ingredient for their claim to fame of teeth whitening. Although it is still unclear if the same effect can be measured by just eating pineapple few times a week. Pineapple has a lot of fibre to remove plaque, bacteria and bad odour. All fruits rich in citric acid and fibre are good for oral health. Vegetables and salads rich in fibre are also good supplement for oral health and hygiene. Intake of calcium rich food has multiple benefits. Milk, cheese, yogurt, broccoli etc are all calcium supplementing food products. They are good for bones and help enamel health and decrease its erosion.
Brushing and Flossing: There are no short cuts to healthy oral hygiene. Drinking sufficient water throughout the day, does not allow mouth from becoming dry. Try and brush your teeth after every meal. T decrease bacteria built-up resulting in tartar and plaque problems. Flossing is also an essential exercise good for oral health and hygiene. It will not allow any food particle to hide and lie under any corner of the mouth and let the bacteria develop happily on it. These few measures will save you from pain, torture, visits and dental bill by and large.