How to deal with stress
Stress is defined in the dictionary as a state of mental and emotional tension as a result of demanding or adverse situations. The truth is that we face stress everyday in our lives and it is becoming increasingly normal to fell stressed. There are different ways of dealing with stress and every individual has a different method of dealing with stress. It is pertinent to keep in mind that not all methods of dealing with stress are beneficial to us in the long run.
Here is a list of the methods which one can follow to avoid stress:
- Stress is an inevitable part of life and it is better to focus on how to move forward rather than wasting time stressing. Taking a realistic view of the situation and taking responsibility to deal with the problem is a great to deal with stress.
- One of the easiest ways to keep stress at bay is by keeping our body fit and healthy through physical activities such as jogging, swimming or dancing. Exercise helps in release of stress hormones and increase in endorphin levels in the body.
- It is important to surround oneself with positive people and not withdraw from the company of friends and family. It always helps to clear ones thoughts when you share your feelings with other.
- Developing a positive attitude as well as a sense of humour helps one in keeping strong and motivated while dealing with stress.
- Another way of reducing stress is to avoid circumstances that cause the stress.
- One of the simplest ways of reducing stress is by getting adequate sleep for at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep to get the body fully recharged and energized.
- Maintaining a healthy diet ensures that the body is strong and healthy and thus helps in reducing stress levels. It is important to eat healthy foods like complex carbohydrates and proteins.
- Water is a great source of decreasing stress as cortisol, a stress hormone is released when the body is dehydrated. It is advisable to eat fresh fruits and vegetables with high water content.
- Alcohol, substance abuse and junk food are one of the most common vices that a person takes up while trying to relieve stress. But in the long run they cause more harm to the body.
- One of the easiest ways of dealing with stress is by picking up a new hobby which is interesting and helps you not to focus on the stress. A new hobby could be reading, playing a sport, learning a new skill etc as long as it makes one more cheerful and enthusiastic about life.
- Listening to calm music always helps one to overcome stress and relax and sooth the body, mind and soul. It is like a balm to release stress.
- Meditation along with yoga helps in making a person focus on the positive things and relaxes the body through different breathing techniques.